The home changed hands several times, and in 1914 the Warren family bought the home. Their daughter, Mildred Warren, librarian at Mt. Vernon Township High School for many years helped influence the loves of many young children who went through the high school. In the early 1930’s, J.B. Hawkins, local funeral director and businessman, bought the Appleman and Fly Funeral Business that was located on 10th Street. On November 12, 1934, Mr. Hawkins bought the large home on Main Street, remodeled it, and opened the Hawkins Funeral Home.
Mr. Hawkins operated the funeral home for nine years until his death in 1943, at which time Virgil Pulley and his wife Ruth purchased the business, and it was called Hawkins-Pulley Funeral Home. Mr. Pulley operated the business for 16 years until his death in 1959. In 1969, Mrs. Pulley sold the establishment to the Charles and Susan Hughey Family. Since 1969, the home was restored and renovated extensively. Mr. Charles Hughey passed away on January 1, 2002. Don Collier and Carmen Hughey-Deichman, along with Susan Hughey have continued the caring, compassionate service to the Mt. Vernon and Jefferson County area that Mr. Charles E. Hughey had dedicated his life too. Hughey Funeral Home has provided a Tradition of Trust and Kindness for the last 44 years and will continue this service to the community for many years to come.